CIVIL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
Civil Engineering Technologists play an important role in the efficient and sustainable operation of our cities and infrastructure. They are core members of the teams that plan, design, construct, and maintain buildings, roads, bridges, sewers, and water distribution systems. These systems keep our transportation systems operating, water flowing and provide safe structures for private and public services.
With a focus on municipal engineering, structural design, water resources and surveying this three-year advanced diploma provides a strong foundation in core civil engineering subjects. The course work provides a balanced education in engineering theory, combined with practical work in laboratories and in the field.
During your time in the program, you'll study and work in classrooms and labs that are equipped with industry-standard software and equipment to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your career as a Civil Engineering Technologist.
You will learn:
- Computer-assisted drafting (CAD), plan reading and drawing visualization.
- Practical construction layout, topographic surveying and the application of electronic surveying (Total stations) and global positioning systems (GPS).
- Properties of building materials, construction inspection methods and geotechnical analysis.
- Asset management and project scheduling, estimating and management.
- Design of structures in steel, timber, masonry and concrete.
- Planning and design of municipal services, potable water, storm water and wastewater management systems.
- In your final term, you will complete a four-week work placement with a local employer which will provide you with valuable industry experience to begin your career. Many graduates gain full-time employment with their placement employer upon graduation.
Graduates typically gain employment all over eastern Ontario, including Kingston, Ottawa, and Toronto, with some accepting positions across Canada, in the U.S., and internationally.
Recent graduates of the program have found employment as:
- Construction project supervisors
- Construction inspectors
- Engineering design technologists
- Drafting technologists
- Survey technologists
- GIS technologists
- Materials and testing technologists
- Project coordinators
- Quality control administrators
- Site engineering technologists
Common employers are:
- Civil construction and surveying firms
- Consulting engineering firms
- Facilities management
- General contracting
- Highways and transportation
- Municipal government engineering or operations departments
- Public and private utilities
We have ongoing relationships with an extensive list of employers in the region. Our primary placement partners include contractors, engineering consultants and government agencies, a few examples are:
- Ministry of Transportation
- City of Kingston
- Utilities Kingston
- Morven Construction
- Taggart Construction
- Corcoran Excavating
- Novatech Engineering Consultants
- WSP Canada
- McIntosh Perry
Student Placement Facilitator (SPF) Support
Confirmation of placement
Complete SLC placement Requirements
- 6 training modules
- Student Declaration/Oath of Confidentiality
- Student Covid 19 Waiver
Student Placement Facilitator will notify student of Agency specific requirements e.g.:
- Immunizations (hospital/LTC)
- CPIC - VULNERABLE SECTOR if required by site
Please complete the form
Your form has been successfully submitted.
International Student Population: over 1600